Grupo RALLY 101 MUSEOS

Público·413 miembros
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards

Mother Tongue Demetria Martinez Book Summary

• Amazon.com

• Find in a library

• All sellers

_OC_InitNavbar("child_node":["title":"My library","url":" =114584440181414684107\u0026source=gbs_lp_bookshelf_list","id":"my_library","collapsed":true,"title":"My History","url":"","id":"my_history","collapsed":true,"title":"Books on Google Play","url":" ","id":"ebookstore","collapsed":true],"highlighted_node_id":"");MotherTongueDemetria MartínezBilingual Press/Editorial Bilingüe, 1994 - Fiction - 121 pages 4 ReviewsReviews aren't verified, but Google checks for and removes fake content when it's identified"Mary is nineteen, subject to depression, and still grieving over the death of her mother when she meets Jose Luis, a political refugee from El Salvador." "Though ostensibly Mary plans simply to help Jose Luis adjust to his new life in the United States, she has another agenda - she plans to fall in love with this man whose life seems so fundamentally different from her own." "During the early days of their relationship, Jose Luis, a student and poet, teaches Mary to speak Spanish and slowly reveals his terrifying past to her. In return, Mary offers him the alms of sex and adoration, hoping that she will be able "to take the war out" of him and in the process find definition in her seemingly meaningless life." "This is a novel about searching - about a woman looking for herself in a man, about a man looking for his place in the world, about two people who find each other but do not find the simple solutions that romantic love supposedly offers young lovers." "This story, told from Mary's point of view, spans twenty years. During this time her story evolves and becomes not just about a woman's love for a man, but about a woman who must wrestle her own devils and who, as a result, gains dimension and intelligence."--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved From inside the book if (window['_OC_autoDir']) _OC_autoDir('search_form_input'); What people are saying - Write a reviewReviews aren't verified, but Google checks for and removes fake content when it's identifiedLibraryThing ReviewUser Review - Rachelraquel - LibraryThingIf only more people could understand what the U.S. has done to El Salvador, maybe then they'd show more caring and understanding to the people from El Salvador. Read full review

mother tongue demetria martinez book summary

• Amazon.com

• Find in a library

• All sellers

_OC_InitNavbar("child_node":["title":"My library","url":" =114584440181414684107\u0026source=gbs_lp_bookshelf_list","id":"my_library","collapsed":true,"title":"My History","url":"","id":"my_history","collapsed":true,"title":"Books on Google Play","url":" ","id":"ebookstore","collapsed":true],"highlighted_node_id":"");Mother TongueDemetria MartinezRandom House Publishing Group, May 5, 2010 - Fiction - 208 pages 4 ReviewsReviews aren't verified, but Google checks for and removes fake content when it's identified"It is a great beauty of a book, and I am so proud of you for standing with and for the disappeared. A sister, a lover, a witness."--Alice WalkerMary is nineteen and living alone in Albuquerque. Adrift in the wake of her mother's death, she longs for something meaningful to take her over. Then José Luis enters her life. A refugee from El Salvador and its bloody civil war, José has been smuggled to the United States as part of the sanctuary movement.Mary cannot help but fall in love with the movement and the man. And little by little, she begins to reveal to José Luis the part of herself she has never known. . . ."A book that becomes more timely every day, in our present political climate, and deserves the widest possible audience for its beautiful prose and humanitarian heart."--Barbara Kingsolver"Demetria Martínez has pulled out all the stops: here is truth to arouse any hardened heart; here is the 'insanity' of a woman in love calling forth a revolutionary lucidity. Read it. Get angry. And act."--Luis J. Rodríguez, Author of Always Running What people are saying - Write a reviewReviews aren't verified, but Google checks for and removes fake content when it's identifiedLibraryThing ReviewUser Review - Rachelraquel - LibraryThingIf only more people could understand what the U.S. has done to El Salvador, maybe then they'd show more caring and understanding to the people from El Salvador. Read full review

Acerca de

¡Te damos la bienvenida al grupo! Puedes conectarte con otro...

Miembros

bottom of page